Shop

T. Lobrichon – Notre-Dame Church in Le Bourg-Dun (c.1880)

Description

Timoleon Lobrichon was born on April 26, 1831 in Cornod (Franche-Comté) in eastern France. He studied at the Academy of Fine Arts in Paris, under the artistic direction of François Picot (1786-1868).

He began his artistic career as an illustrator in the Parisian satirical press (Le Gaulois, Le Hanneton, Le Diogène). Painter of historical, portrait and genre, he was particularly known for his compositions with children, largely reproduced at the time in the form of prints, by the international house Goupil & Cie. Lobrichon was also known for his landscapes of Jura and Normandy or his portrait of Michelet.

His participation in the Salon des Artistes Français from 1859 to 1913 garnered him a few top prizes, being awarded a first class medal in 1868 and a second class medal in 1882, the year he was named Chevalier (Knight) of the Legion of Honour.

In 1884, he illustrated the very popular book “The Song of the Child” by Jean Aicard.

A famous and popular painter during his life, he exhibited regularly in Germany, Melbourne (Australia) and New York (USA). His works are on display at the Amsterdam Municipal Museum, the New Orleans Museum of Art, the museums of Besançon, Chalon-sur-Marne, Limoges, Mulhouse, among many others.

He died in Paris in January 1914, as published in the newspapers Le Figaro (January 23), La Lanterne (January 23) and The Chronicle of Arts and Curiosity (January 31).

Le Bourg-Dun is a commune in the Seine-Maritime department in the Normandy region in northern France. The church was built in the year 1015, on the ruins of an old abbey destroyed in the ninth century during a Norman incursion. Since its construction, it has undergone many transformations and extensions from the twelfth century to the present day. This undoubtedly contributes to the splendor of the church while giving it a touch of originality. Here we observe the church from the road to Saint-Pierre-le-Vieux, which is behind the building, although this road did not exist at the time. The little iron gate is still here today.

Artist: Timoléon Lobrichon (1831-1914)

Unsigned. Title partially visible in lower right corner and noted on the stretcher

Technique: Oil on wood panel

Condition: Very good condition

Dimensions: 27 x 38 cm. / 10.6 x 15 in.

Frame: 31 x 43 cm. / 12 x 17 in. Wood.

Provenance: Foix, Occitanie, France.

 

SOLD